After five long months, Fabrizio Andrade finished what he started.
Andrade captured the ONE Championship bantamweight title with an electric performance over John Lineker on Friday night in the main event of ONE on Prime Video 7 at Lumbini Boxing Stadium in Bangkok, Thailand. Andrade (9-2, 1 NC) rocked his fellow Brazilian repeatedly with piston-speed jabs and body work, until Lineker’s corner mercifully stopped the fight before the final round.
“I have no words to explain what this means to me,” said an emotional Andrade through tears. “It’s been a long journey, I’ve been through a lot of difficult things in my life, and coming here with the dream of being a world champion, being able to change my life and the life of my family, is incredible.” . . «
Andrade and Lineker (35-10, 1 NC) previously met last October before landing an illegal knee to the groin in the third round at ONE on Prime Video 3 in an eventual no-contest. Before the fight, Lineker was stripped of his ONE Championship bantamweight title after unexpectedly losing weight by .75 pounds.
History repeated itself for much of Friday’s rematch. Andrade, 25, continued to stay one step ahead of his 32-year-old opponent, pummeling Lineker with straight punches, knees and heavy counters. Andrade ended Lineker’s night with a big right hand that stopped the former on wobbly legs late in the first round. He then sent Linegar into survival mode with another strong salvo late in the quarter.
While Lineker occasionally managed to find a home for his trademark looping hooks, none of the powerful jabs seemed to impress Andrade, though they earned his respect.
“Man, he came to fight,” Andrade said of Lineker. «The first fight, he was scared. But this fight, he came to fight. You can see, I took a lot of damage [on my face].”
The fight marked Lineker’s first loss since leaving the UFC in 2019, while Andrade extended his own unbeaten streak to nine, including a seven-fight ONE Championship streak.
In his post-fight interview, Andrade called for his first title defense against 27-year-old Stephen Loman, who defeated former champion Pipiano Fernandez last November.
A full set of results on Prime Video 7 can be found below.
- Fabricio Andrade def. John Linegar via TKO (corner stoppage) 5:00 round 4
- Tawanchai PKSaenchai der. Jamal Yusupov via KO (leg kick) at:49 of round 1: ONE Muay Thai Featherweight Championship fight
- Deb by Martin Nguyen. Leonardo Cassotti was unanimous
- Saemapetch Fairtex Def. Zhang Chenglong Unanimous Decision – Kickboxing Match
- Defeat of Danny Kincott. Echo Roni Saputra by unanimous decision
- Daniel Kelly def. Ayaka Miura via unanimous decision – submission grappling match
- Francisco Xhaja def. Andre Stoica via split decision – Kickboxing Match
- bland victory right Linda Darrow scored a unanimous decision
- Uali Kurzhev def. Tommy Langaker via submission (heel hook) at 2:58 — submission grappling match
- Adrian Mathis def. Zelang Zhaxi via TKO (punching) at 0:57 of Round 1