MADRID, 24 Nov. (EUROPA PRESS) –
A young Israeli man was injured this Thursday after being run over in the town of Beersheba (south), as confirmed by the Israeli authorities, who have pointed out that the event appears to be intentional, although at the moment it is unknown if it is a “nationalist” attack.
The images recorded by security cameras in the area show the vehicle on a sidewalk near the Technological Institute of the Air Force, where it has run over an 18-year-old boy, according to the newspaper ‘The Times of Israel’.
The driver has subsequently tried to flee, although he has been intercepted about a hundred meters away. The 39-year-old man, a resident of the Bedouin-majority town of Rahat, is being investigated by authorities.
The commander of the Police in the Negev, Nahshon Nagles, has stressed that “at this moment no explanation is ruled out”, because the detainee published several videos on the TikTok platform in recent days stating that he had been threatened by a Jewish man .
“Nobody can threaten the Bedouins in Beersheba or in the south. If they respect us, I will respect you, but if not, you will suffer. It is not a threat, but for our dignity we are ready to give our lives,” he said, before asking the Bedouins that “it is necessary to be prepared at all times in the face of any threat”.
“We all need to protect ourselves in this racist country,” said the man, whose identity has not been released. People close to the detainee have indicated in statements to the newspaper ‘Haaretz’ that he is an unstable person who suffers episodes of epilepsy.
The event took place just one day after one person died and more than ten were injured due to the explosion of two bombs at two bus stops in Jerusalem, without any claim of responsibility for the double attack for the moment.
On the other hand, the Shin Bet, Israel’s secret services, have revealed this Thursday that a Palestinian residing in the Gaza Strip was arrested in October for planning a bomb attack against a bus in the south of the country.
Thus, he has detailed that the suspect, identified as Fazi Ziad Zakot, 31 years old and a resident of Rafa, had planned to carry out the attack on behalf of Islamic Jihad. The man had a work permit to enter Israel.
Zakot was arrested on October 30 and this Thursday he has been charged with belonging to a terrorist organization, planning an attack, training to carry out an attack and contacting a foreign agent, among other charges, according to ‘The Times of Israel’.
The Shin Bet has pointed out that the man was recruited in September by Islamic Jihad, after which he received training from an explosives expert for the manufacture of a handmade device in order to carry out said attack. Islamic Jihad has not ruled on the arrest.