What phrase would you put on your social media profile to explain who you are? What short phrases motivate you or do you feel define your life? Inspiration can come from anywhere, at any time, through anyone, be it your neighbor or the supermarket cashier.
If you are looking for phrases about life that are short but powerful and meaningful, the following selection can help you with dozens of quotes from movies, books and famous peoplefrom Shakespeare, Churchill, Bob Marley, Chaplin, Dalai Lama and Buddha to Frida Kahlo, JK Rowling, Rosa Luxemburg and Eleanor Roosevelt.
53 powerful phrases that will mark your life: to find meaning in things, get inspired or get a tattoo
This list contains 57 short phrases of life of all kinds and for a wide range of situations, emotions and objectives: beautiful and positive or harsh (but true).
What you do with them is entirely up to you: you can use them to put them on your social media profile or in an upcoming tattoo; or for purposes such as thinking and reflecting, find inspiration or take advantage of them as an impulse with which to encourage and motivate you to move on with your life and your dreams.
Short and famous phrases of life: beautiful, reflective, positive or harsh but true
- “Flowers grow from the darkest moments.” Corita Kent.
- “Hitting rock bottom became the solid foundation on which I rebuilt my life.” JK Rowling.
- “Laughter is the sun that drives winter away from the human face.” Victor Hugo.
- “A day without a smile is a day lost”. Charles Chaplin.
- “The worst fight is the one that is not done.” Karl Marx.
- “With every fight you get stronger.” Cinderella Manscreenplay by Cliff Hollingsworth, Akiva Goldsman.
- “It is curious that life, the emptier, the heavier.” Leon Daudi.
- “There’s nowhere to go but anywhere, so keep walking.” Jack Kerouac.
- “Beauty only belongs to the one who understands it, not to the one who has it.” Carlos Fuentes.
- “Man has never been so free as when he dreams.” Dead poets societybook by Nancy H. Kleinbaum.
- “A man who does not feed on his dreams grows old soon.” William Shakespeare.
- “Not being dead is not being alive.” E. E. Cummings.
- “Today is the first day of the rest of your life.” Abbie Hoffmann.
- “With the new day comes new strength and new thoughts.” Eleanor Roosevelt.
- “You will understand me… when your soul hurts like it does me”. Frida Kahlo.
- “There is only one life, therefore it is perfect.” Paul Eluard.
- “Suffering and crying means living.” Dostoyevsky.
- “Wasting the time I enjoy is not wasted time.” Martha Troly.
- “Why do we fall, Bruce? To learn to get up.” Thomas Wayne, in Batman Begins: Screenplay by David S. Goyer and Christopher Nolan.
- “In life sometimes you win; other times you learn.” John Maxwell.
- “Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” Rosa Luxemburg.
- “Life isn’t fair, it’s hardly fairer than death, that’s all.” William Goldman.
- “Life is a red flare of dreams.” W. B. Yeats.
- “If you go through a storm, keep walking.” Winston Churchill.
- “He didn’t know it was impossible, so he did it.” (Attributed to Albert Einstein and Mark Twain).
- “Life is a rainbow that includes black.” Yevgeny Yevtushenko.
- “When the going gets tough, the hard part is getting going.” Joseph Kennedy.
- “Do not live so that your presence is noticed, but so that your absence is felt.” Bob Marley.
- “Life is nothing but a continuous succession of opportunities to survive.” Gabriel Garcia Marquez.
- “The purpose of our lives is to be happy.” Dalai Lama.
- “We think too much and feel too little.” The great Dictatorscript by Charlie Chaplin.
- “Stop thinking about life and resolve to live it.” Paulo Coelho.
Phrases about life very short to think and motivate you
- “What is life? Life is what you want it to be.”
- “Your goals are bigger than your fears.”
- “The obstacle is the way” (Zen proverb).
- “Time is not infinite: don’t waste it.”
- “If you believe, you believe”.
- “It’s not about understanding life, it’s about living it.”
- “To turn the page is to overcome, not to forget: learn from the past”.
- “Youth has no age.”
- “Don’t lower the goal, increase the effort”.
- “Don’t save anything for a special occasion. Living is a special occasion.”
- “The worst lie is hidden under silence.”
- “You never know how strong you are, until being strong is the only option.”
- “A donkey can pretend to be a horse, but sooner or later it will bray.”
- “There is only one way to never be wrong: to do nothing.”
- “When you stop dreaming, you stop living.”
- “Nothing happens; and if it happens, you are greeted”.
- “Time answers your questions, or makes you no longer care about the answers.”
- “When it hurts, watch: life tries to teach you something”
- “Success depends more on your perseverance than on your talent.”
- “The worst enemy you can have is yourself.”
- “The happiness of your life depends on the quality of your thoughts.”
- “May life forgive me the times I didn’t live it”.
- “Do not count the days make the days count”.
- “We are what we think.” Buddha.
- “For every closed door, find an open window.”
Sources: business insiders Spain (4), clear, online psychology, pinterest